Bonner Leaders are selected through a competitive process open to incoming first-year students.
Applicants must meet regular admissions standards and have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Through the program, each student earns a $3,000 service-based stipend, renewable for all four years that students remain eligible in the program. The stipend is paid bi-weekly throughout the semester and not in one lump sum.
Bonner Leaders agree to enroll in at least 3 credit hours of the Bonner Seminar course every Fall semester and participate in planned community service activities during the year.
- Enroll and attend INTS 294: Bonner Seminar each Fall
- Serve 8-10 hours a week at their selected community service agency each year as they continue to gain hands-on knowledge, skills, and abilities. By the end of their Senior Year, Bonner Leaders will have accumulated 1200+ service hours. These are paid positions through Federal Work-Study.
- Attend Fall Retreat and Bonner Leader Orientation
- Actively participate in Spring Monthly Meetings that build your workplace skills and help you integrate your academic learning and service
- Represent George Mason University and the Office of Community Engagement and Civic Learning in a positive manner when completing your work-study hours at your community work-study site