Leadership through Community Engagement LLC
"The Leadership and Community Engagement LLC has provided me with a great foundation for college, as I have gained valuable friendships and been exposed to countless opportunities to learn and grow." Tabatha Donley
Join the Leadership through Community Engagement Living Learning Community!
The Leadership through Community Engagement LLC offers students the opportunity to live with peers interested in exploring social concerns in order to become an active part of solutions through community engagement. Based on the Social Change Model, residents examine local and global issues through academic study and activism, with an emphasis on relational leadership, positive change and active citizenship
So what exactly have we done?
This year, the LLC has:
- Gone on an overnight Fall Retreat
- Created and produce regular programs and social justice workshops through the student organization LUCKI
- Facilitated discussions at the SAIL Hunger Banquet
- Participated in a Buddy program for incoming and current students to serve as a mentor and a guide through the Mason experience
- And much more!
Be a part of a loving, supportive community of people as dedicated to community engagement, service, and leadership as you are! The Leadership through Community Engagement LLC will offer you the chance to practice your skills, discover your talents, and become an active part of solutions through community engagement and service.
- Learn more about yourself and develop your leadership potential through service to others.
- Participate in a 1-credit class each semester that will enhance your understanding of local and global issues, in order to make ethical choices and become civically engaged in the classroom and beyond.
- Explore potential career options that mesh your academic goals and civic commitment to social concerns
- Gain the confidence and skills that you need to succeed as active citizens and leaders in community service on and off campus.
- Make a difference in your own life and the lives of others through volunteering and community building.
- Feel more at home on campus! Experience a residential setting that is an active, supportive, exciting place to learn.
- Volunteer at least 2 times per semester with a local community partner
- Participate in a one-credit course for the full academic year surrounding issues of critical community engagement and social justice
- Attend both the Fall and Spring Retreats
- Contribute to creating a vibrant, fun, engaged community on your floor.
How to Apply
The application for Upper-level students will open on December 12th and will close February 4th, 2020.
The freshmen is available through your housing application (LLC Freshman Application Instructions) and will be due in May.
People will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis and there are limited spots, so be sure to apply as soon as possible!
Check out our blog for posts from students in their own words!