Support for CBL Courses
Social Action and Integrative Learning supports faculty implementing service-learning and other forms of community based learning pedagogy in their courses and partners with Kristen Wright, Director of Civic Engagement (CECiL) who oversees community based learning. Contact Kristen Wright for further information firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assistance identifying local community organizations to establish new campus/community partnerships.
- Individual consultation on course design and integration of service and critical reflection into class discussion and assignments.
- Assistance with student registration for optional fourth-credit or independent study credits.
- Assistance for students enrolled in the course
- Provide the forms and process the paperwork required to assure appropriate risk management and liability coverage (students can download a packet from our website).
- Collect end of semester evaluations from community partners and students.
- Course promotion website and social media.
- Faculty can receive the following reports:
- Beginning of semester spreadsheet of community organization placement for each student and site supervisor contact information.
- End of semester evaluations of the students by their site supervisors.
- End of semester evaluations of the service-learning placement by students.
- The Mason CBL Faculty Guide is available in either PDF or Wiki form. The wiki is an ever-expanding source of resources available for download. Consider contributing to it yourself: masoncblfaculty.pbworks.com
- The CBL Faculty Learning Group meets monthly to share ideas and support.
- The SAIL Blog is an excellent forum for students to share their reflections on these experiences with a broader Mason audience: https://sailgmu1.wordpress.com/.
Field Studies assists faculty with planning and logistics involved in incorporating off-site work in Mason classes. The center is an excellent resource for faculty using any kind of experiential learning that takes students beyond the campus, including Community-Based Learning.