Social Action and Integrative Learning
School of Integrative Studies | College of Humanities and Social Sciences


SAIL can assist you in meeting the legal and risk management reporting requirements.  Contact Shauna Rigaud, for individualized assistance.

When students will be working on-site with a community partner, some paperwork is needed to assure that the students, instructor and community partner have the same understanding of the nature of the project.  This paperwork is not necessary when students work off-site on a deliverable for the community partner (e.g. designing a donor database or new website). Any tours or site-visits should appear in the course syllabus, no further paperwork is necessary.

Faculty teaching a course in which students work on-site with a community partner MUST (all forms referred to are available here).

  • Have a written process that ensures that the community partner, faculty, and students all have the same understanding of the expectations of the project before beginning.  SAIL Director, Patty Mathison must receive these forms to sign and file them.
    • Option 1:  The Long Term CBL Agreement.  Faculty and community partner sign a CBL Project Description and CBL Five-Year Agreement in advance of the course that describes the project, learning outcomes, and supervisory expectations.
      • A copy of the CBL Project Description must appear in the course syllabus the first day of class.
      • SAIL already has a signed Five-Year Agreement with many local agencies.  If this is the case for your community partner, you need only complete the CBL Project Description
    • Option 2:  The Standard CBL Agreement.  Student/student team describes project, learning outcoms and supervisory expectations.  Student(s), community partner, and faculty sign.
    • George Mason University Service Sites:  If students will be working with a Mason entity, only the CBL Project Description is required (no agreement forms or consent and release forms are needed).
  • Have a signed Experiential Learning Consent and Release Agreement from each student (see exception above for George Mason University entities as service sites).
    • This will collect the course title, name of organization, and site supervisor contact information, which SAIL will submit on your behalf to the Office of University Counsel. 
    • You will also receive this spreadsheet via email, so you will have a ready list of all the contact information related to your students’ placements.
Print Friendly and PDF